Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 12

Hello there!

Today is day 11 of my journey as being a vegan.  It is quite odd to me now, the smell of meat cooking almost churns my stomach, I had to make a vats of different stocks at work and I almost couldn't stand the smell.  That is a good thing though.  

I want to share some of the recipes I have done for myself and what I eat, I do not find it very difficult to be a vegan, mainly because I am a chef and I can cook pretty much anything you ask me to.  I went to whole foods the other day and felt like a little kid in a candy store.  I couldn't contain myself.  What I made myself for dinner the other night was I Poblano peppers stuffed with a sweet mashed potato and I bought Soba Noodles and made a ginger soy scallion sauce.  Not to hard at all and for all other newbie vegans, it should be quite easy

For the Poblano stuffed sweet potato

I hollowed out the poblano peppers, about 2 its 4 halves it is a very mild pepper I wanted it mainly for the size.
I boiled and then mashed sweet potatoes, about 1 Large sweet potato adding in a 
Tbsp of cinnamon, 
3Tbsp of maple syrup (Try not to use imitation, it just doesn't do anything besides add a fake sugar taste)
1/4 C Almond Milk ( You can use soy, but I like almond)
1/4 tsp cayenne
5 Dashes Tabasco sauce ( I am in love with Tabasco, you could also omit if you don't like spicy or small dice a jalapeno for that kick )

Just mash the sweet potato and just stir in the rest of the ingredients, Simple right?

I baked the poblano with some olive oil and salt and pepper by itself at 400 for I would say 10 - 15... till they softened, just keep an eye on it all ovens are different and the one I have in my tiny apartment is awful.

Once the pepper is softened, stuff the peppers with the sweet mashed and put back in the oven for another 10-15 mins, you want the tops to turn a light brownish crisp. 

Your done with the Poblano stuffed peppers! They are so good, I wish I took a picture though but I didn't even think of it at the time, next time I make them I will definitely do it!

So now onto the Soba noodles.

This was my first time cooking soba noodles since culinary school, its pretty much like a pasta, except I didn't want them al dente, I wanted it medium, not to soft, but no crunch to it.  So easy to make to

I made about 1/2 a box for me a husband and that included leftovers for the next morning (soba noodles can also be served cold, it is pretty normal to have a cold soba noodle salad in restaurants, but this recipe calls for them hot)

So boil 1/2 a box and while you are doing that

cut up about 2 oz of ginger very small and fine dice and sweat them in oil in a sauce pot, I used EVOO, but you can use vegetable oil or anything you have on hand, its your preference.
Add 2 cloves fine diced garlic cloves to that and cook to just get the bitterness out.

Then I added about 
5Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
5 Tb reduced sodium soy sauce ( You don't feel bloated with reduced sodium and its the same flavor)
2 1/2 Tbsp 
1 Tbsp water ( so the soy is not so strong)
beyond easy and then I thin sliced about 4 scallions

So cook the pasta and toss it into the sauce and then throw in the scallions, super easy recipe, beyond good.

(I also made about double the recipe of sauce and saved and the next day I made white rice and steamed broccoli and tossed the broccoli in it, I felt like I had takeout, it was so delicious!)

So I also want to talk about what I have made myself for lunch its super easy salad

its 
1 Endive cleaned, cored, and 1 inch diced
a handful cleaned spinach
3 beets, cooked, peeled, cut into quarters 
a sprinkle of dried cranberries
Half an avocado cut up
1/2 a tomato diced

(My actual picture, yay!)
dressing was 1 Tbsp white balsamic, 1 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper  just toss together super easy.

I'll continue tomorrow

Good Luck and Namaste,
V




No comments:

Post a Comment