Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 18

Hi everyone!

I tried agave the other day, and I actually like it.  Agave is like a sweetener made from plants you use in tea and baking and other things along that nature, and I absolutely love it!  I had no idea that this even existed until I went out to eat and the waiter brought it to me when I ordered tea (I love chamomile tea).

 Anyways I made a sweet potato lentil soup yesterday that came out phenomenal and I thought I would share it with you all. It is really easy, don't let it intimidate you.  Some people have never worked with lentils before, and its really so easy and nothing to even fret over.  Also, sometimes I use spices that most people would not have in your pantry and that is fine, I use whatever I have on hand so if I put an odd ingredient, I will put maybe a substitution in the recipe  or maybe its okay to even omit it from the recipe.  Also, if there is something you like as a spice that I did not use and you would think would go well with it.  Go right ahead!  There is nothing set in stone and all my recipes are based on my preferences and resources, so do as your heart desires, it will made the dish all the more better.

So here it goes:
Sweet Potato Lentil Soup

2 Carrots, Peeled, and small diced
2 Onions, Peeled, and small diced
2 Celery stalks, Peeled and small diced (Peel a celery you say?  Yes!  It gets rid of the outside layer that has been laying around in grocery stores and gets ride of the stringy things!)
2 Cups Lentils
2 Tbsp Fresh Minced Garlic
10 Cups of Water
1 Can Marzano Tomatoes - Food Process them/Puree
3 Large Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and large dice
1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
1 Tsp dried Anaheim green chilies (This is an odd ingredient if you have them use them, if not you can use dried chipotle or another pepper, or you can even omit)
1 Tsp Smoke Paprika
Vegetable oil to coat the pan

Get a pot on the stove to medium high heat and coat the pan with the vegetable oil ( don't use olive oil, it has a high smoke point)  Add the carrots, celery, onions and cook until tender.  Add the minced garlic, oregano, thyme, chilies.  Cook for a 1-2 minutes, until bitterness is out of the garlic.

Add lentils, tomato puree, and water.  Simmer 45 - 1 hour.  Stirring occasionally.

While that is cooking, get a pot of water on the stove, bring to a boil and add the sweet potatoes.  Cook until tender, strain and rinse in cold water.

After the soup is done simmering.  Season with salt and pepper, and adding anymore seasoning you like.  Add the smoked paprika, Add sweet potatoes, let sit in the soup for 5 minutes, while it is on a simmer.  Serve hot and enjoy!

Easy right?

( I garnished with micro greens)


So next is a salad I thought was simple and refreshing and thought everyone would enjoy!  So recently, I have been obsessed with avocados, so they go in every salad I make!

1/2 Tomato, diced
Handful of Mixed Greens
1 Avocado, chopped
1/4 Red Onion, peeled and thin sliced

Juice of 1 Lime
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Toss all together

So easy and refreshing.  Something about the lime brings out these great flavors in the avocados!



That's all for now!

Namaste,
V


No comments:

Post a Comment