Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 116!

Hello Everyone!

Before I start with the recipes I wanted to take a second and talk about my physical health since I became a vegan.  I began at the beginning of January and now its almost the end of April.  I was a size 12 and as of last week I was a size 8, that maybe if I wanted to I could have tried on a 6.  I have lost 25 pounds and I feel so great.  This is one of the best decisions I have ever made and could not be happier.  I am doing something great for me and great for the animals.

So anyways today I am going to be sharing with you three recipes.  First one is a Pickled Shiitake Mushroom,     Second is a Asian Pear and Cucumber Slaw.  Last one is a Fiddlehead Fern Salad.  Pretty easy recipes, I just haven't been cooking really heavy meals lately, because its been so hot out lately.  These recipes would all be great for Spring/ Summer Time

Pickled Shiitake Mushrooms:
2 Cups Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms
1/2 Cup Sherry Wine
1 Cup Soy Sauce
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 Cup Champagne Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Dill

Add everything but the dill to a pot on the stove and let cook 20-25 minutes on a low simmer, leave the mushrooms whole, if you want you can chop before hand but I did it afterwards.  Let the mushrooms cool before you store.  Add the dill right in at the end of the cooking time, making sure to stir in.

This would be great at a summer time BBQ.  Enjoy!


This next recipes requires no cooking at all, which is really nice for summer time.

Vegan Asian Pear and Cucumber Slaw:
1 English Cucumber
1/4 Head of Cabbage
1 Carrot, Peeled
3 Asian Pears
1 Cup White Wine Vinegar with Tarragon (If if you can't find infused already just add 1 Tablespoon Fresh Tarragon)
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoon Celery Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

On a mandolin slice the cucumber, cabbage, carrots and pears into a nice thick julienne cut.  If you do not have a mandolin on hand, just do nice matchstick size cuts.

In a mixing bowl add the vinegar, olive oil and coat the vegetable mixture in it.  Add the celery salt, sugar and black pepper.  Check for seasoning may need a bit more.  Let sit in the fridge for at least 5 hours or preferably over night, you want all the flavors to infuse and come together.


Very light and refreshing!

Okay last recipe is a Fiddlehead fern recipe.  Okay I am sure most of you are all like "WTF is that"  "Why is it so odd looking."  Fiddleheads are the fronds of a fern picked early, picked from a Ostrich Fern.  Fiddleheads are actually considered a traditional dish of New England, mainly Maine and of Quebec.  

You need to make sure also you clean them thoroughly before cooking.

With Fiddleheads though you need to remove the yellow/brownish part of it and make sure they are cooked thoroughly they say when boiling to change the water twice boil for 15 minutes at least and steam for 10-12 minutes.  

Also, Fiddleheads are only in season for a few weeks, and are not available fresh year round.  I believe you can find them frozen and pickled, but today we use fresh Fiddlheads.  

The taste of a Fiddlehead is a cross between spinach and asparagus.  I swear it smells like broccoli rabe, but I may have just had a sensory overload right before.  It is low is sodium and a good source of fiber and it contains Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids, full of Antioxidants, rich in potasium.  

Anyways!  

Vegan Fiddlehead Fern Salad:
1 Cup Cooked Fiddlehead Fern, Cooled
1/2 Cup English Cucumber, Diced
1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
1/4 Cup Toasted Pine Nuts
1 Cup Mixed Greens, Washed
3 Tablespoons Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing

To make the dressing:
6 Lemons Juiced
1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup (Real stuff, not imitation)
1 Tablespoon Grey Poupon Mustard
1 Teaspoon Poppy Seeds
Salt and Pepper To Taste

In a mixing bowl, place the mustard and lemon juice inside.  Slowly whisk in the olive oil.  Once that is done whisk in the maple syrup, poppy seeds, salt and pepper. Done.  Easy Peasy.

Place ingredients into a serving bowl, arranging how you want, and that's it.   Enjoy!


That is all for today, I do have some more pickled recipes for you all next time.

Also,  follow me on facebook!


Thanks everyone!

Namaste,
V



No comments:

Post a Comment