Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 95!

Hello everyone!

I can't believe it is spring already, its such a beautiful day outside!  Today I am going to be sharing with you one recipe today, just because it is kind of long.  The dish is called Coxinha, it is a typical Brazilian food.  It is deep fried (I know, but it is so good!) They are so addicting and so easy to make.  It is actually not typically vegan at all, but I have transformed it into a version vegans will love.  You can fill the coxinha literally with anything you want.  I try to keep it with more of a Brazilian flair when I make it, but do whatever your hearts desires, recipes are based on my own preference, so change it to yours!

I wanted to take a moment and talk about reiki again.  I have been practicing reiki a lot lately, well I usually did self reiki at least once a day on myself, but now I am doing it on others.  I do feel like the energy flows through me more since veganism came into my life, and that it has made a significant difference in my life.

Anyhow

Vegan Brazilian Coxina:
4 Cups of Water
1/2 Pound of Yucca
3 Cups of Flour (Run through a food processor, needs to be super fine)
Oil to fry the Coxinha in
2 Cups Soy Milk
Salt and Pepper

Filling:
2 Cups Corn taken off the cob
2 Cups Heart of Palm (Palmitos) cut into small bites
Earth Balance Butter

First, you are going to want to cook the yucca, since this will take a good amount of time.  In a pressure cooker add the yucca and cover with water adding two inches to it.  Cook for about 15-20 minutes.  Remove from pressure cooker and let cool, mash it up.

Make your filling.  I put a saute pan on the stove, melted the earth balance butter, and then added the corn and heart of palm and sauteed until cooked and tender.  I put aside to let it cool.

Get the water on the stove and bring to a boil, I would season this water.  I just used salt and pepper.  Whisk the flour into the water vigorously for about 2-3 minutes, forming into a dough.  Mix in the mashed yucca.

Let cool down for 5 minutes, you will burn your hand if you try right away.

Form a ball of dough and place in the palm of your hand and press a large indentation into the middle making a hollow hole put your filling into the hole.  Fold the dough around the filling and making the top into a point.  Heat the oil up on your stove on medium.  Once done dip the coxinha into the soy milk, roll in flour again.

Place into a cupcake pan while assembling, fry until golden brown

Coxinha!

 Enjoy!

Namaste,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment